27 June 2007

long days

This is stacking up, so I'll keep it short.

Monday:
long placement exam--three hours; more difficult than anything I've ever taken, ever
lunch--apparently it's not assumed that everyone needs to drink while they're eating
long lecture--on economics, in a hot room, in Russian (like everything); fell asleep after it was clear this would not affect my comprehension
walk home--took me two and a half hours, which is two much by an hour and change; I could have gotten help, but refuse to ask for directions to Broadway, which Nevsky prospekt is. Why aren't there any street signs?

Tuesday:
placement--into groups amusingly code-named by preci0us stone, presumably so they wouldn't have to tell us how we ranked. Dad's a geologist; I placed in the low advanced (low, high intermediate; low, high advanced) group, which is better than expected.
class--finally, I understand what's going on. Professors claim they'll speak slowly; some stick to it longer than others.
lunch--again, no water. Why, God?
lecture--on linguistics; again, finally something I understand. I keep saying "finally" like it's been a long time, but this is only true subjectively.
movie--we may or may not have had the entire history of Russian film explained to us beforehand; couldn't tell. Movie was mercifully silent.
dinner--at a Turkish restaurant; highly recommended

Wednesday:
walk to university--bad decision; normally I take the marshrutka (taxi-bus). Took longer than I thought, and was raining harder than I wanted by the end of it.
more class--I could get used to this
lunch--they begin to understand that we will always want water; provide us with 4 oz. glasses
lecture--cancelled; updated blog instead

Next: some kind of actual description of St. Petersburg?

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Ryan, I must say that your blog is shaping up to be one of the most amusing I have ever had the pleasure of reading, mostly because your insights are both thought provoking and humorous. Keep up the good work, and have fun for the rest of your trip. How long are you there?

Ryan said...

Thanks! It's good to know that people are actually reading this.

I'll land in NYC on August 12, and Cincinnati on the 13th.